Evaluation of Wine Grape Maturity
1. Avery, J.D, ed. 2003. Growing Grapes in Missouri. Missouri State University, State Fruit Experiment Station: Mountain Grove, Missouri. MS-29.
2. Bisson, Linda. 2001. In Search of Optimal Grape Maturity. Practical Winery & Vineyard Journal, July/August.
3. Boulton, B., Vernon L. Singleton, Linda F. Bisson, and Ralph E. Kunkee. 1996. Principles and Practices of Winemaking. 1st ed. New York, New York: Chapman & Hall.
4. Butzke, C.E. and R.B. Boulton. 1997. Acidity, pH and Potassium for Grapegrowers. Practical Winery & Vineyard Journal, September/October.
5. Coombe, B.G., R.J. Dundron, and A.W.S. Short. 1980. Indices of Sugar-acidity as Ripeness Criteria for Winegrapes. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, Vol. 3.
6. Cox, Jeff. 1999. From Vines to Wines: The Complete Guide to Growing Grapes and Making Your Own Wine. 3rd ed. North Adams, Massachusetts: Storey Publishing, LLC.
7. Creasy, C.L. and L.L. Creasy. 2009. Grapes. Cambridge, Massachusetts: CABI.
8. Dami, Imed, Bruce Bordelon, David C. Ferree, Maurus Brown, Michael A. Ellis, Roger N. Williams, and Douglas Doohan. 2005. Midwest Grape Production Guide. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, Ohio State Extension. Bulletin 919.
9. Dharmadhikari, Murli, 2010. Composition of Grapes. Iowa State University, Iowa State University Extension: Ames, Iowa. [http://www.extension.iastate.edu/NR/rdonlyres/A647BBD4-08D5-494B-A55B-680667E6C342/56373/compositionofgrapes.pdf] accessed September 12, 2010.
10. Fiola, Joseph A., 2010. How to Assess Winegrape Maturity and Make Harvest Decisions. University of Maryland, Maryland Cooperative Extension: College Park, Maryland. [http://www.grapesandfruit.umd.edu/Pages/AssessingMaturity.pdf] accessed September 20, 2010.
11. Giese, W. Gill. 2008. Wine Grape Quality : When Is It Time to Pick? In: Wine Grape Production Guide for Eastern North America (Tony K. Wolf, ed.) Ithaca, New York: Natural Resource, Agriculture, and Engineering Service (NRAES), Cooperative Extension.
12. Greenspan, Mark. 2006. Assessing Ripeness through Sensory Evaluation. Wine Business Monthly, November Issue.
13. Hamilton, R. P. and B.G. Coombe. 1992. Harvesting of Wine Grapes. In: Viticulture, Vol. 2 (Practices) (B.G. Coombe and P.R. Dry, eds.) Adelaide, Australia: Winetitles.
14. Hamman, Richard A., Jr., Steven D. Savage, and Harold J. Larsen. 1998. The Colorado Grape Growers’ Guide. Colorado State University, Colorado Agricultural Experiment Station: Fort Collins, Colorado. Bulletin 550A.
15. Hellman, Edward W. and Ted Casteel. 2003. Crop Estimation and Thinning. In: Oregon Viticulture (Edward W. Hellman, ed.) Corvallis, Oregon: Oregon State University Press.
16. Hellman, Edward. 2004. How to Judge Ripeness before Harvest. Presentation at the 2004 Southwest Regional Vine & Wine Conference, Albuquerque, New Mexico, February 27-28, 2004.
17. Jackson, Ronald S. 2008. Wine Science: Principles and Applications. 3rd ed. Burlington, Massachusetts: Elsevier.
18. Kennedy, James. 2002. Understanding Grape Berry Development. Practical Winery & Vineyard Journal, July/August.
19. Moulton, G.A. and J. King. 2005. Growing Wine Grapes in Maritime Western Washington. Washington State University, Washington State University Extension: Pullman, Washington. EB2001.
20. Singleton, V.L., L.S. Ough, and K.E. Nelson. 1996. Density Separation of Wine Grape Berries and Ripeness Distribution. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture, Vol. 17.
21. Skelton, Stephen. 2007. Viticulture - An Introduction to Commercial Grape Growing for Wine Production. London, United Kingdom: Published by Author.
22. Van Rooyen, P.C., L.P. Ellis, and C.S. Du Plessis. 1984. Interactions between Grape Maturity and Quality for Pinotage and Cabernet Sauvignon Wines from Four Locations. South African Journal for Enology & Viticulture. Vol. 5.
23. Van Schalkwyk, Hanno and Eben Archer. 2000. Determining Optimum Ripeness in Wine Grapes. Wnyboer, May.
24. Watson, Barney. 2003. Evaluation of Winegrape Maturity. In: Oregon Viticulture (Edward W. Hellman, ed.) Corvallis, Oregon: Oregon State University Press.
25. Weaver, Robert J. 1976. Grape Growing. New York, New York: Wiley.
26. Winkler, A.J., J.A. Cook, W.M. Kliewer, and L.A. Lider. 1974. General Viticulture. 2nd ed. Berkeley, California: University of California Press.
Click on the following topics for more information on the evaluation of wine grape maturity.