Cover Cropping in Vineyards
1. Buchholz, Daryl B., Einar Palm, George Thomas, and Donald L. Pfost. 1993. No-Till Planting Systems. University of Missouri, University of Missouri Extension: Columbia, Missouri. Publication #G4080.
2. Campbell, Alan and Daniel Fey. 2003. Soil Management and Grapevine Nutrition. In: Oregon Viticulture (Edward W. Hellman, ed.) Corvallis, Oregon: Oregon State University Press.
3. Dami, Imed, Bruce Bordelon, David C. Ferree, Maurus Brown, Michael A. Ellis, Roger N. Williams, and Douglas Doohan. 2005. Midwest Grape Production Guide. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, Ohio State Extension. Bulletin 919.
4. Dufor, Rex. 2006. Grapes: Organic Production. Butte, Montana: The NCAT Sustainable Agriculture Project.
5. Ingels, Chuck A. (ed.) 2005. Cover Cropping In Vineyards—An Introduction to Vineyard Crop Management. University of California, University of California Cooperative Extension Amador County: Jackson, California. Publication #1975.
6. Ingels, C. 1998. Cover Crop Selection and Management in Orchards and Vineyards. In: Proceedings of the California Plant and Soil Conference Proceedings, Modesto, California.
7. Ingels, C., R. Bugg, G. McGourty, P. Christensen. 1998. Cover Cropping In Vineyards—A Growers’ Handbook. University of California, Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources: Davis, California. Publication #3338.
8. Jackson, Ronald S. 2008. Wine Science: Principles and Applications. Burlington, Massachusetts: Academic Press.
9. Kadir, Sorkel, Kassim Al-Khatib and Dallas Peterson. 2006. Weed Control in the Grape Vineyard. Kansas State University, Agricultural Experiment Station and Cooperative Extension Service. Publication #MF-2699.
10. Ludvigsen, Kym. 2008. Midrow Management: Searching for a Sustainable Future. The Australian & New Zealand Grapegrower & Winemaker, 530 (March).
11. McCarthy, M.G., P.R. Dry, P.F. Hayes, and D.M. Davidson. 1992. Soil Management and Frost Protection. In: Viticulture, Volume 2: Practices (B.G. Coombe and P.R. Dry, eds.) Adelaide, Australia: Winetitles.
12. McGourty, G. 1994. “Cover Cropping Systems for Organically Farmed Vineyards.” Practical Winery & Vineyard Journal, September/October.
13. Miller, P.R., W.L. Graves, W.A. Williams, B.A. Madson. 1989. Cover Crops for California Agriculture. University of California, Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources. Publication #21471.
14. Mitchem, W.E. and D.W. Monks. 2005. Weed Management Considerations for Southeastern Vineyards. North Carolina State University, North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service. Publication # HIL-205C.
15. Olmstead, Mercy Anne. 2006. Cover Crops as a Floor Management Strategy for Pacific Northwest Vineyards. Washington State University, College of Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences. Publication #EB2010.
16. Sattell, R., R. Dick, J. Luna, D. McGrathy, and E. Peachy. 1998. Common Vetch. Oregon State University, Oregon State Extension Service. Publication # EM-8695.
17. Sullivan, Preston. 2003. Overview of Cover Crops and Green Manures. Fayetteville, Arkansas: National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service. Publication #IP024.
18. Sustainable Agriculture Network. 2007. Managing Cover Crops Profitably, 3rd ed. Handbook Series Book 9. Beltsville, MD: Sustainable Agriculture Network (SAN).
19. William, Ray D. and Dai Crisp. 2003. Floor Management. In: Oregon Viticulture (Edward W. Hellman, ed.) Corvallis, Oregon: Oregon State University Press.
Click on the following topics for more information on cover cropping in vineyards.
Topics Within This Chapter:
- Introduction to Cover Cropping in Vineyards
- Benefits and Drawbacks of Cover Crops
- Life Cycle of Cover Crops
- Types of Cover Crops
- Cover Cropping Systems
- Criteria for Selecting Cover Crop Species
- Establishing and Managing Cover Crops
- Suppression or Control of Cover Crops
- Cover Cropping in Vineyards References